Thursday, January 28, 2010

Making Dirt









Ok...I will admit it, I look at other people's photos on Facebook! I was looking around the other night, and saw a photo of a young man that was putting what looked like the final touches to covering the ceiling of his room with playing cards. I should post it, but it was just really cool.

I know what some people would say...."Why?" would you spend time putting playing cards all over ...completely covered with playing cards. I guess, as I think about it...well, why NOT!? At least it is something to do, a way to spend time and then one would be able to stand back and look at this cool thing he finished.

Spending time doing something productive or what we feel is productive is really a good thing! It keeps our minds busy...it is a way to not get bored and in the end be able to stand back and say I did that.

Well, I have started a project like that too...not playing cards on my ceilings but I bought a 'paper shredder'! And I am going to try to 'make dirt' from composting cardboard and newspapers, junk mail and other things from the house this winter.

I have been saving stuff during the week and then ever 4-5 days I have been shredding.

I have an outdoor compost bin and so I have been putting a little pile of shredded stuff in the bin this past few weeks.

I don't know how long it will take to really MAKE dirt. But I know it is a good thing to do and not burn all the paper we usually do!

I will keep an eye on the progress of my dirt...and I will keep you all posted!